Share this article:
Are you incorporating enough protein into your diet?
As a college student on a budget, I have found that my protein intake has significantly reduced over the last couple of years. I realized I wasn’t getting enough protein when my workout fatigue took days, sometimes a week, to subside. My muscles were rebuilding and repairing very slowly with the limited amount of protein I was consuming. To fix this, I started doing some research and learned just how vital protein is to our bodies.
So, what does protein do for our bodies anyways? Protein is the driving force in the maintenance and repair of our cells. Quite simply, protein rebuilds and fuels our cells, giving us energy to power our bodies. In addition to rebuilding and repairing our muscles, protein also helps our bodies to oxygenate, digest food and regulate hormones.
Because our bodies do not store protein, it is essential that we consume protein daily to help our bodies to stay in shape. Protein enables our bodies to recover quickly after exercise or injury, build and maintain lean muscle, maintain a healthy weight and suppress hunger. Some common examples of foods high in protein include eggs, almonds, peanuts, chicken breasts, oats, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, milk, broccoli, lean beef, tuna, quinoa, lentils, Ezekiel bread, pumpkin seeds, turkey breast, fish and brussel sprouts.
You can also incorporate protein into your diet using whey protein supplements. I really enjoy using protein supplements because you can add them to a wide variety of meals, such as a post workout smoothie, a bowl of oatmeal, or even a cup of coffee. This is a great way to add protein to your diet with minimal effort and cost. At AstroFlav, we use the highest quality Whey Protein Isolate to ensure fast digestion without added sugars, fillers, or unnatural ingredients. You can check out our protein supplements here.
If you are looking for a creative way to incorporate more protein into your diet, try out this delicious AstroFlav recipe that transforms a classic PB & J sandwich into a healthy, protein filled meal.
Protein Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Ingredients—Yields 1 Serving
- 1 Tablespoon IsoMix Peanut Butter & Jelly
- 2 Tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon jam
- 2 Bread slices
- Butter for toasting
- In a small bowl, mix the protein powder, Greek yogurt, and peanut butter togetheruntil creamy. Spread this mixture onto one side of the bread, spread the jam onto the over side of the bread.
- Put the pieces of bread together to make a sandwich (peanut butter and jelly side in).
- Heat a medium skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Spread about ½ tbsp of butter on the outer side of the bread slices and fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side. About 2 minutes per side.
- Enjoy! This sandwich is best served right away.
Questions, comments or concerns?
Feel free to send me an email at email@example.com. I would love to hear how you incorporate protein into your diet!
Sign Up and Subscribe for quick updates!
Get the latest articles & recipes straight to your inbox!
Share this article: